Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Mary Flanagan Woolens

As I was saying, on Friday I had the pleasure of visiting the workshop of Mary and Scott, of Mary Flanagan Woolens. I have been using their wool exclusively on my pillows for about a year, purchased from Purl.
They are located in Pickett, WI in a house surrounded by farmland and green fields with hay rolled up neatly and cows grazing quietly. As my mother and I navigated the back roads, we relied on a GPS tracker/map/stern voice of reason "No, turn RIGHT on Hwy B! You missed it! Turn around!" Of course, looking at a tiny screen in my lap (I was not driving) rather than the real life scenery and directional signage caused us to drive in the wrong direction for 20 minutes, but oh well. It was still pretty. I love driving through the country and imagining rebuilding the interior of a beautiful barn to be a multi-functional studio with sky lights and vast fields of wildflowers and maybe a few chickens.


It was so interesting to learn a bit more about the process and background of Mary and Scott. They hand dye all of their wool, giving it a consistent dye saturation and reliable color. I am always drawn to the "Party Mix" collection myself, but the range of other colors is really impressive. I brought home a 6-pack of patterned wools, dyed to match my usual solid Party Mix collection - I think it will be perfect for the Fall collection of pillows.


If you would like to catch up with Mary and Scott, they will be at the Hand-Hooked Rug Show in Green Lake, WI. It is open to the public and will be at the Green Lake Conference Center on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 from 5:30 to 8:00 pm and all day Wednesday the 17th from 8:30 am to 8:00 pm. You can also see their traveling schedule for trade and non-trade here.


Thanks again Mary & Scott- I hope to stop by again in the near future!

No comments: